For those of you who've not seen the excellent DAVID BOWIE interviews on the CHARLIE ROSE show (PBS) can now view them online.
The first interview is taken from the 9th August 1996 which features painter/director JULIAN SCHNABEL who discusses his directorial debut with 'Basquiat'. Then, David who plays Andy Warhol in the movie, joins director Schnabel to discuss the film. (57 minutes long) [View here].
The second appearance is from 31st March 1998 - in two parts - with David in conversation covering topics such as his innovatation as a musician, his influence on popular culture and the launch of '21', his art publishing house. (26 minutes long) [View here].
The second part features David, art critic/broadcaster and author Matthew Collings, BowieArt.com's Karen Wright and art dealer/gallery owner Bernard Jacobson talking about '21 Publishing' (25 minutes long) - [View here]
You can also view the interviews via Google in full screen [View here]
TAKE A QUICK BUTCHERS... 21st January 2008
• Check out a funny DAVID BOWIE Labyrinth skit on ROBERT SELANDER's website of Doom! Please note: Not suitable for children under twelve - view here...
• Trio AU REVOIR SIMONE covered a DAVID BOWIE song during their encore of their biggest-ever headlining show so far in New York City at the weekend. They performed 'Oh! You Pretty Things' from David's 1971 Hunky Dory album. They have also recorded their studio version for a compilation that is coming out in Europe on the K7 label. The group says they "definitely made it a little spookier and dreamier" and they "don't know when it will be coming out but we will let you know as soon as we do." The trio will be surprise guests at the forthcoming CLAP YOUR HANDS SAY YEAH show at Bowery Ballroom, NYC tomorrow night (22nd January).
• Check out an online interview with AUGUST director AUSTIN CHICK on Ther Reeler website. There's a photograph and several mentions of DAVID BOWIE with Austin talking about how he got db onboard. The movie gets its premiere at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival - see below for dates and times. You can read the article here...
• The New York Post reported on Saturday that D&I were spotted at the packed out Whitney Museum in NYC checking out Kara Walker's provocative silhouettes that feature in her current exhibition 'Kara Walker: My Complement, My Enemy, My Oppressor, My Love' - you can view several exhibition photographs online here...
'AUGUST' PREMIERE IN UTAH 9th January 2008
The new movie AUGUST that stars Josh Hartnett Adam Scott, Naomie Harris, Robin Tunney, Rip Torn and DAVID BOWIE is being shown during the SUNDANCE 2008 FILM FESTIVAL later this month, in Utah, USA.
August is a sophisticated and razor-sharp film about an aggressive young dot-com entrepreneur struggling to keep his head above water as the bottom falls out of the market. At the end of March 2001, the dot-com market went into a downward freefall, but LandShark, an Internet company run by the cocky Tom Sterling (Josh Hartnett), seemed to come through the crash still glistening with the aura of success. In August however, the company faces serious financial troubles, and everyone - except for Tom - seems to be coming to terms with that fact. He cruises around town in his money-green convertible, convinced that LandShark's products, which were developed by his brilliant brother, Josh (Adam Scott), are sill in high demand and destined to revolutionise the future of business. Tom is right, but the road to the revolution may not look exactly like the one he has in mind.
In his brilliantly crated sophomore effort, Austin Chick draws spot-on performances all round (including a cleverly cast David Bowie as Ogilvie) and perfectly captures the innocence, optimism, and electric anticipation of the rise of e-commerce that enthralled America before the world changed. At its most basic level, August is about hurbris - about a time when we, as Americans, through we were untouchable - (by Shari Frilot).
Directed by Austin Chick, the 88 minute movie gets four cinema showings.
Tuesday, January 22nd at 5:30pm Library Center Theatre, 1223 Park Ave, Park City, Utah, USA.
Wednesday, January 23rd at 2:30pm Library Center Theatre, 1223 Park Ave, Park City, Utah, USA.
Thursday, January 24th at 9:45pm Broadway Center Cinemas V, 111, East Broadway, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
Saturday, January 26th at 11:30am Library Center Theatre, 1223 Park Ave, Park City, Utah, USA.
To David Wishing you many happy returns of the day Have a fab time
Best wishes and lots of love as always from Paul, Dawn, the kids and everyone here at Wonderworld xxxx
OTHER BIRTHDAY WISHES... 8th January 2008
Besides our DAVID, other famous and well known people also born on the 8th January include...
Elvis Presley (singer), Ron Moody (actor), Larry Storch (actor/comedian), Soupy Sales (aka Milton Hinkes) (comedian and father of Tony and Hunt Sales of Tin Machine), Graham Chapman (comedian), Charles Osgood (CBS TV newsman/host/author), Shirley Bassey (singer), Cristy Lane (singer), William Henry Hartnell (actor, the first Doctor Who), Robby Krieger (musician), R. Kelly (singer), Mike Reno (singer), Paul Dresher (composer), Paul King (musician), Jeff Abercrombie (musician), Terry Sylvester (musician), Paul Hester (musician), Stephen Hawking (professor, astrophysicist, author), Amanda Burton (actress), Gil Grand (musician), Ami Dolenz (actress), Amber Benson (actress), Yvette Mimieux (actress), Thelma 'Butterfly' McQueen (actress), Simone De Beauvoir (writer), Evelyn Wood (reading teacher), Gypsy Rose Lee (burlesque entertainer), Bill Graham (concert promoter), Wilkie Collins (author), Frank Doubleday (publisher), Sir Frank Dyson (scientist), Lee Jackson (musician), Vladimir Feltsman (Russian pianist), Little Anthony aka Anthony Gourdine (singer), Ted McDougall (footballer), Michael Ridley (cricketer), Harriet Sansom Harris (actress), Sean Paul (musician), Karen Poole (musician), Jenny Lewis (actress), Richard Cromwell (actor), Jose Ferrer (actor/director), Sam Riley (actor), Ryan Frances (actor), Roy Kinnear (actor), John McTiernan (director), Scott Whyte (actor), Sander Vanocur (broadcaster), Joan Rivers (comedian), Maria Pitillo (actress), Sarah Polley (actress), Loretta Lee (actress), Gabby Hoffman (actress), Maria Pitillo (actress), Brad Snyder (shot putter), Kent Jones (golfer), Virgil Hill (boxer), Vyacheslav Dmitriyevich Zudov (USSR cosmonaut), Terry Brooks (author), Antai Ribari (composer), Serge Poliakoff (Russian/French painter/guitarist), Queen Marie of Yugoslavia, Bronislava Nijinska (ballet choreographer), Storm Jameson (novelist), Frank Nelson Doubleday (publisher), William Wallace Gilchrist (composer), Fannie M Jackson (pioneer and educator), Lawrence Alma Tadema (Dutch/British painter), Nicolas Coustou (French sculptor) and Henry V (Roman German king/emperor).
It's also BowieWonderworld's birthday - now eleven years online. Big shout out to everyone who helps with the content of the site - it's really appreciated :)
VOTE IN THE CURRENT BW POLL 2nd January 2008
Place your vote in the current BW poll...
The question being asked is: 'Which is your favourite track from the DAVID BOWIE album 'Station To Station?'
So far the top three choices are as follows: 'Station To Station' way out in front with 36.97%, followed by 'Word On A Wing' with 17.99% and thirdly 'Stay' with 17.25% of the vote.
You really need to check out MAN-CAT who has created a rap and hip-hop mash-up album from DAVID BOWIE's 1972 masterpiece 'The Rise of Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars'.
The album 'The Rise and Fall of Thuggy Stardust and The Hustlers From Mars' is available for a FREE DOWNLOAD via thewilltotruth.com website.
The tracklisting runs as follows:
01. Sky Is Falling In Five Years - (featuring Blackalicious) 02. I Got Soul Love - (featuring Nate Dogg) 03. Can U Daydream - (featuring 2Pac) 04. Welcome Back, Starman - (featuring Mase) 05. Gangsta Shit Ain't Easy - (featuring G-Unit) 06. Lady Stardust (Is A Bitch) - (featuring Missy Elliot) 07. Star Quality - (featuring Jurassic 5) 08. Hang On, Hate Me Now - (featuring Nas) 09. Jiggy My Ziggy - (featuring Jay-Z) 10. Chessboxin' In Suffragette City - (featuring Wu-Tang Clan) 11. Rock N' Roll Suicidal Thoughts - (featuring Notorious B.I.G.)
The download is 61.4 MB zip file which includes a digital album booklet that has altered Bowie photos, artwork and so on.
Check out the video below for a crisper understanding. ***Please be aware that the songs contain very explicit lyrics.