BOWIE TV and WHAT'S REALLY HAPPENING IN FEBRUARY - MONTHLY PLANNER
[BOWIEWONDERWORLD SHOP] [LATEST DAVID BOWIE ITEMS ON eBAY]
[@bowiewonderworld.com email addresses HERE]
BW Facebook / myspace.com/bowiewonderworld
Have YOU got some DAVID BOWIE related news or a hot scoop?
Well don't just sit there keeping it to yourself - send it in to
All news items are credited if you so wish
[LISTEN and DOWNLOAD BOWIE SONGS from Amazon]
DAVID BOWIE along with Twig the Wonderkid graces the front cover of the March issue of Blitz magazine (issue 69) in Portugal.
The cover blurb states: 'The history of the great chameleon' [groan] and the twelve-page feature inside celebrates forty years of Ziggy Stardust and is on sale now priced at 2.90 euros.
Extract: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars came six months after Hunky Dory, giving the idea of a constant presence of Bowie which was becoming before the watchful eyes of their fans.
In 1987, Bowie described this step as difficult, reporting that it was difficult to explain his vision to the rest of the band: "We did not think the same way. It was like: for God's sake, let's go, let's try not to limit ourselves to just another rock band." But they were a great rock band. And embraced the idea so poorly realised that they could serve more girls.
If your Portuguese is as good as mine check out the blitz.aeious.pt website, where you can view more details and information.
Alternatively, view the English translation here
• Back in July 2005 Westminster City Council published a report [download here] from the Director of Planning and City Development about the proposal for a Commemorative plaque to Ziggy Stardust (1972). It's taken a while but there are now reports that the spot where DAVID BOWIE stood on Heddon Street, London W1 is finally to see that request granted. The Ziggy Stardust plaque will be unveiled on Tuesday 27th March. At the moment I can't find anything on the Westminster Council website confirming this date, only the blog on GQ Magazine...
• DAVID BOWIE was featured in the SUNDAY TIMES magazine supplement on 25th February. The story behind the picture feature showed 'David Bowie wows them in Memphis' by photographer Carl Dunn from 1974, Memphis, Tennessee. The two-page feature contains 5 black and white photographs of David live on stage during this Diamond Dogs tour in the USA...
• DAVID BOWIE is featured in the February issue of ROLLING STONE magazine in India. The cover blurb states: David Bowie: Ziggy Stardust unmasked. Inside the feature entitled 'Ziggy Stardust fell to Earth' contains four-pages...
• DAVID BOWIE tribute band ALADDINSANE are to perform at The Mechanics in Burnley, Lancashire this coming Friday 2nd March from 8:00pm. The venue is located at Manchester Road, Burnley, BB11 1BH. Tel: 01282 664400. For tickets and more details click here...
• DAVID BOWIE is THE theme of the FIRST CHURCH OF THE SACRED SILVERSEXUAL which is a musical, theatrical, sparkly spectacle of a show that tap dances on all the lines between religion and revelry, beatitude and blasphemy, rock show and revival. Levity, divinity and light. Based in San Francisco, USA check out their website at sacredsilversexual.com and their Facebook page...
DAVID BOWIE graces the front cover of the April issue of UNCUT magazine in the UK.
For the new-look magazine, the front cover Ziggy Stardust studio shot was taken by Sukita from his forthcoming publication 'Speed of Life'.
Inside there are thirteen-pages entitled 'Stardust Memories' by Garry Mulholland... four decades on, the main players tell the whole story of Ziggy Stardust which includes eyewitness comments from Ken Scott, Lindsay Kemp, Trevor Bolder, Geoff MacCormack, Mike Garson, Terry Pastor, DA Pennebaker, Suzi Ronson and Lenny Kaye.
There are some wonderful unseen Sukita photographs including some captions from David himself taken from the forthcoming book.
Interestingly, DA Pennebaker states that the whole film crew from the July 3rd Hammersmith Odeon final show got an invite to the Cafe Royal aftershow party. The crew decided to film it. He still has it in his archive somewhere. Would he make it available? He says: "Maybe. I'd have to find it first!"
There is also confirmation of the forthcoming book 'Abbey Road To Ziggy Stardust' by Ken Scott which will be published in the Spring by Alfred Music Publishing.
There are also two full page advertisements for the Speed of Life book by David Bowie and Sukita published by Genesis Publications and the Uncut David Bowie Ultimate Music Guide app for the iPad.
Check out the Uncut magazine website @ uncut.co.uk
To everyone who made it to the DAVID BOWIE UK Convention in Bedford yesterday - we thank you.
You all made it a fantastic event.
Many thanks to all the performers and everyone working there - you were all seriously awesome.
A big thank you to David B for sending that special message that I had the pleasure of reading out to everyone. He made a special day even more special.
It was great to meet old friends, make new ones and put faces to names. Extra special thanks to those who travelled long distances.
I hope you all had a really good time and here's to the next one... DB613
Check out some amusing DAVID BOWIE movie poster mash-ups over on the Empire Online forum.
They originate from the online contest they run each week where they ask their readers to mash-up celebrities with recognisable movie posters.
They range from 'The China Girl Syndrome', 'Ziggylander', 'I'm Afraid of American Pie', 'Saving Major Tom', 'Berlin' and 'I Am David' through to Frank Miller's 'Suffragette City' and the incredibly scary looking 'Angela's Ashes To Ashes'.
Check them all out here
Strange Fascination? - A Symposium on DAVID BOWIE.
What: It is 40 years since the release of the single 'Changes' by David Bowie. Following on from a number of very successful symposia on Morrissey, the University of Limerick, Ireland is convening a symposium later this year on the iconic performer David Bowie.
Organisers: Dr. Eoin Devereux (Department of Sociology, UL); Dr. Martin J. Power (Department of Sociology, UL) and Dr. Aileen Dillane (Irish World Academy of Music and Dance, UL).
When: October 2012.
Where: University of Limerick, IRELAND.
Theme: This is an open-call for papers. We invite scholars working across a range of disciplines and approaches (such as, cultural studies, ethnomusicology, gender studies, musicology, media studies, popular music studies, queer studies and sociology) to propose papers on David Bowie's lengthy creative career as a singer, songwriter, actor, artist, collaborator and producer. We are interested in papers which deal with the many facets of Bowies career as a singer and the multitude of styles he has embraced (e.g. r'n'b; drum and bass; dance etc). The symposium will assess the lasting legacy of Bowie's career.
Publication Plans: It is intended to publish an edited and refereed book based on a selection of the symposium's papers.
Deadline: Abstracts of 250 words should be emailed to
The closing date for abstracts is 14th April 2012.
According to The Star Ledger DAVID BOWIE and IMAN have been invited to the private 'home going' service of WHITNEY HOUSTON which takes place tomorrow in Newark, New Jersey at The New Hope Baptist Church.
Among the invited guests are: Oprah Winfrey, Beyoncé, Jay-Z, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Elton John, Bill Crosby, Alica Keys, R. Kelly and Donnie McClurkin.
Stevie Wonder and Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys, R. Kelly and gospel singer Donnie McClurkin are scheduled to sing in at the service that begins at noon.
"It's going to be a ceremony that reflects her life," New Hope church Pastor Joe A. Carter said.
The service will be broadcast online and also on the BBC News Channel at 17:00 GMT.
You can read the whole article via The Star Ledger website.
Update: Several celebrities who had been invited to the service didn't make it. Among them were DAVID BOWIE, Elton John, Rod Stewart and Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston's godmother.
• TICKETS - All online tickets for this year's DAVID BOWIE UK Convention on Saturday 25th February in Bedford have now sold out. If anyone is still looking for tickets, I am told there are 18 left behind the bar in Danny's Bar at Esquires....
• FOOD - There will now be hot food available at the venue from midday (12) until the venue closes, so no need to go anywhere else - all your needs will be attended to! Making your visit even more pleasurable and complete!...
• CAMERAS - Plenty of photographs will be needed for a video being produced of the event. If people attending could bring along their camera it would be a great help. The more the merrier...
• TAXIS - If anyone will be needing taxis from railway station / hotel / Esquires - there is a taxi rank/office right outside the venue - 24-7 Cars Bedford Ltd - you can book online via their website or ring 01234 511 247 or 01234 512 247...
• WRISTBANDS - Everyone coming into the venue will be given a DB512 wristband which should be worn if you need to go outside to smoke, because you will need it to gain access back into Holy Moly's....
• PROGRAMMES - You should also keep hold of your Convention programme, because you WILL need it at some point during the Convention as part of the David Bowie raffle / lucky dip give-away that will be taking place...
TRAVELODGE HOTELS: BEDFORD - For those of you that are booked into a Travelodge Hotel in Bedford... They are allowing an early check-in at 12 noon instead of the usual time of 3pm. You need to ring to make arrangements and there is a £10 fee for early check in's. To check availability contact the hotel directly. Esquires is only a mile walk from there or a short taxi ride...
SOME USEFUL LINKS:
Holy Molys @ Esquires venue website.
Esquires on Facebook
Esquires on Twitter
Google Maps Venue location - MK40 2QG
AA Route Planner
RAC Route Planner
National Rail Enquiries
Taxi Company 24-7 Cars Bedford - rank/office outside the venue
Any other queries please email me or post up on the Bowie Convention Facebook page.
• Reported in the SURREY COMET today is 'Ziggy Stardust fan remembers day Starman fell to Tolworth'. DAVID BOWIE fan Stephen King recalls the event at the Toby Jug in Tolworth which occured 40 years ago today. You can read this excellent article here via their website...
• There are only NINE tickets are remaining for DB512 - THE 2012 UK DAVID BOWIE CONVENTION in Bedford, England which takes place on Saturday 25th February. You need to order them asap, otherwise you won't get in. No tickets will be available on the door. The last date for ordering online via PayPal is now tomorrow night at midnight. I did guarantee it would be a sold out event. Sending out big thanks to everyone who has bought tickets to make this a sold-out event!...
• For those of you in the UK... WH Smith newsagents now have the ROLLING STONE magazine on sale with the DAVID BOWIE cover priced at £3.95. The missus picked one up for me in Stockport centre today...
I think that it's pretty much safe to say that DB512 - The 2012 DAVID BOWIE Convention is a sell out event. I have only 9 tickets left and those are still available to purchase via PayPal until this Saturday at midnight). Any tickets left over at that point will be held on the door for anyone that arrives at 12 noon without one.
The Convention is being held at Holy Moly's @ Esquire's - 60 Bromham Road, Bedford, England MK40 2QG from 12 noon until 9pm.
There will be non-stop David Bowie music played all day/evening with a large selection of hits, remixes, rarities and live material covering David's whole recording career. There will be a screening of his 14th October 1999 performance in Paris, along with live music provided by Amannin Sane (Nick Fielding), Rob Hallward, MudHoney (David Priest and John Morey), Funmilayo and Lipstick Torpedo will close the night with selection of glam rock classic's that will keep everyone entertained for an hour!
Everyone coming into the venue will be given a DB512 wristband which should be worn if you need to go outside to smoke, because you will need it to gain access back into Holy Moly's. You should also keep hold of your Convention programme, because you WILL need it at some point during the Convention as part of the David Bowie raffle/give-away that will be taking place.
I would personally like to thank Paul for all of his help with the promotion of this years convention, my first since returning to the UK after 12 years in America. This will now become an annual event and next years convention will be on a much larger scale, which should hopefully allow me to reduce ticket prices.
I look forward to meeting all of the BWWers that have already purchased tickets and we have people attending from all over England and have also sold tickets to fans in France, Germany and complementary tickets were given to two David Bowie fans that are flying in from Dubai for the event, it was the least I could do for them!
Danny's Bar at Esquire's do have a few tickets behind the bar, but with an album launch by Pearl Handled Revolver with afterparty it may be hard gaining access in there on the day to get tickets. They may decide to sell what tickets they have left on the door also, but on my last enquiry that was only 16.
So, I'll hopefully see you there - for those attending have a safe journey and allow yourself an extra 30 minutes to find parking close to the venue, just remember there are 250 Bowie fans attending and many will also be looking for parking spots too. If you are staying at the Bedford Travelodge on Brickhill Drive, check-in time is 3pm, but there is a taxi rank right next door to Esquires and it'll cost maybe £4 by taxi to get to the hotel. You wouldn't want to walk it... unless you like this weather! Rock on!
From David Priest.
BowieNet have exclusively announced that EMI are to release Starman / Starman (Top Of The Pops Mix) 7" Limited Edition Picture Disc by DAVID BOWIE as part of the International Record Store Day (RSD) on Saturday 21st April.
Visit the RSD (USA) or RSD (UK) to find your nearest participating record stores where you can order the release.
David Bowie 'Starman' 7" Picture Disc Exclusive for Record Store Day 2012.
Local cat no: DBSTAR 40 / ICPN: 50999-559791-7-7.
A side: David Bowie - Starman (original single version) (stereo)
B side: David Bowie - Starman (audio from the legendary 'Top Of The Pops' TV performance) (3.35) (mono)
In the UK there are over 180 stores promoting the event. The records are pressed to pre-ordered quantities, so if you don't register your interest in advance with a participating store, you might miss out.
On a side note IGGY POP has been appointed as the Record Store Day 2012 Ambassador. He states: "A person should have a personality. You won't get one dicking around on a computer. It helps to go somewhere where there are other persons. Persons who are interested in something you are. That's how a record store or any shop that's got some life to it should work."
You can watch the rest of the video footage here - well worth it!
Update: 10th Feb Only a handful of tickets left now which will be held back for anyone turning up at the venue without one. So the last day for buying the remaining NINE tickets via PayPal will be this Saturday. If you want one and have not already bought one can do so via PayPal until midnight on Saturday. Danny's Bar in Esquire's does have a few if you ask at the bar.
If there are any more DAVID BOWIE fans still wanting ticket's for DB512 - The 2012 UK Bowie Convention in Bedford, England please be aware there are only 12 days left to buy them via PayPal.
There are only 9 tickets left to sell before this event is a complete sell-out. Although Danny's Bar within Esquires still have a handful of tickets behind the bar, but I'm pretty sure these will be snapped up by the locals once they hear the live music.
There will be live performences by: Amannin Sane (Nick Fielding), MudHoney (David Priest and John Morey), Funmilayo, Rob Hallward, and the headlining band is Lipstick Torpedo.
Bowie music will be played throughout the day including lots of rarities and remixes, plus David's complete Paris 1999 performance will be shown on a large 20' x 10' video screen with enhanced audio played through the PA with the house-lights turned off for the whole concert.
Doors open at 12 noon and the event runs through until 9pm - it is going to be a great day/evening with a few surprises lined up... if anyone else is interested you need to act fast to avoid disappointment.
Email - tickets are only on sale via PayPal payments until 18th February. No tickets are available on the door.
Available next month is 'hours...' The Collectors Edition by DAVID BOWIE - this exclusive limited edition CD is released on the Friday Music label.
Scheduled for release on Monday 26th March the CD contains five bonus tracks, an amazing ten-panel digi-pak graphics, song lyrics, retro Columbia Records Eye label and really great remastering.
The tracklisting runs as follows:
01. Thursday's Child
02. Something In The Air
04. If I'm Dreaming My Life
06. What's Really Happening?
07. The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell
08. New Angels Of Promise
09. Brilliant Adventure
10. The Dreamers
11. Something In The Air [American Psycho Remix]
12. Survive [Maruis Devries Mix]
13. Seven [Demo]
14. The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell [Stigmata Film Version]
15. We All Go Through
You can pre-order 'hours...' / The Collectors Edition NOW.
• DAVID BOWIE's EART HL I NG album released 15 years ago today. My, my, time do fly...
• Aimsel Ponti, News Assistant at The Portland Press Herald tells it how it is concerning DAVID BOWIE's 1972 masterpiece album 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars' - love on ya! - [Read here]...
• The last few remaining tickets (22 to go) for the DB512 - THE 2012 UK DAVID BOWIE CONVENTION in Bedford, England which takes place in three weeks time on Saturday 25th February are selling fast. You need to order them asap, otherwise you won't get in. No tickets will be available on the door. The last date for ordering online via PayPal is the 11th. I guarantee it will be a sold out event. See below for more details on how to purchase...
• You couldn't possibly release a new movie named 'Hunky Dory' without having a DAVID BOWIE song on the soundtrack. Directed by Marc Evans, this funny coming of age film stars Minnie Driver, Aneurin Barnard, Danielle Branch, Robert Pugh and Haydn Gwynne. The movie is officially released on 2nd March in the UK - [View trailer]...
DB512 - THE 2012 UK DAVID BOWIE CONVENTION takes place at Holy Moly's @ Esquires in Bedford, England this month on Saturday 25th February.
There is a self-contained bar and a full in-house sound system that will be playing non-stop David Bowie and Bowie-related music from 12 noon until the event is over (9pm).
This is the 5th Bedford David Bowie Convention I have organised (83, 85, 90, 98) and will be by far the most intimate. Those that have attended previous conventions will know that it's the best place meet and mix with other Bowie fans from all over the UK (The Friendliest Bunch You'll Ever Meet), with Holy Moly's being taken over by David Bowie fans for the day and evening.
Live music at the Bowie Convention is provided by Lipstick Torpedo, MudHoney, Amannin Sane (Nick Fielding), Rob Hallward (aka Wayne Beau) frontman of Pink on Pink and Funmilayo.
The schedule runs as follows:
12:00 - DB Music Mix (2 Hour)
14:00 - Amannin Sane (30 Min) live on stage
14:30 - DB Music Mix (1 Hour)
15:30 - Rob Hallward (30 Min) live on stage
16:00 - David Bowie Concert Screening
17:00 - MudHoney (30 Min) live on stage
17:30 - DB Music Mix (90 Min)
19:00 - Lipstick Torpedo (1 Hour) live on stage
20:00 - DB Music Mix (1 Hour)
21:00 - Convention Ends
As usual there will be the Bowie Raffle taking place, with lots of great things to be won.
There is also room for traders (4 tables), if anyone is interested in selling CDs/DVDs and other Bowie Memorabilia. Tables are £50 for the event and anyone interested should contact DP.
Venue: Holy Moly's @ Esquires
Address: 60a Bromham Road, Bedford, MK40 2QG, England
Telephone: 01234 340120
Tickets are on sale NOW priced at £15.00 plus £1.50 postage (UK Only) each and are available now via PayPal only. Please make payments to: - tickets will be mailed out during the first week of January.
There are no TICKETS remaining. The last day for buying tickets via PayPal is Saturday 18th February.
There will be NO tickets sold on the door. This is a ticket only event. There are only a limited number of 250 tickets due to the size of the venue, so it's a first come first served basis. Once they are gone Paypal account will no longer accept payments and the event will be be sold out. A limited number of tickets are now available from Danny's Bar at Esquires.
Note: If anyone is after tickets but DOES NOT use PayPal, they can contact the above email address and David can send you an invoice from PayPal and you will be able to pay via credit card or debit card.
If you have any queries about obtaining tickets please ring 07532 453821.
Check out the Facebook events page at facebook.com/events
From David Priest.
• Broadcast on BBC RADIO 2 tomorrow night Thursday 2nd February on the Johnny Walker show at 23.00hrs is the classic album series which looks at the DAVID BOWIE albums Hunky Dory and Aladdin Sane - [Listen in here]...
• There are only 36 TICKETS remaining for the DB512 - THE 2012 UK DAVID BOWIE CONVENTION which will be held at Holy Moly's @ Esquires in Bedford, England this month on Saturday 25th February - if you intend on going please act now, otherwise you won't get in!...
• In Australia there's a tribute night dedicated to DAVID BOWIE and IGGY POP 'Life on Mars' taking place on Friday 10th February at the Bell Tavern, 1645 Burwood Highway, Belgrave, Melbourne, Australia. Free entry. 3 hour show - [More details]...
• Italian DAVID BOWIE tribute band SKIN MACHINE are to perform at Mayflower Pub, Str Litoranea, Borgo Sabotino, Latina, Italy on Saturday 11th February at 22:00 until 1:00 - [More details]...
• DAVID BOWIE appears in the current issue of MOJO magazine. Inside there is a Bowie: Eno, Iggy and Low feature. David Bowie: A genuine sonic revolution, Low was an album conceived in chaos and dismissed as 'a piece of crap'. Paul Trynka revisits the lockdowns and spirits that went into its creation. (New Order are on the front cover)...
Next month sees the Off the Shelf Highlighting History Festival taking place in Sheffield, England and UK DAVID BOWIE fans might be interested to know that the 'The Man Who Sold The World - David Bowie and the 1970s ' talk is part of the event.
The festival starts on Thursday 2nd March through to Sunday 4th March.
The Man Who Sold the World - David Bowie and the 1970s talk is by the cultural historian PETER DOGGETT, who follows Bowie's career from 'Space Oddity' to 'Scary Monsters', tracing the way in which his music reflected and influenced the world, mixing brilliant musical critique, biographical insight and cultuiral amalysis to create a uinique study of a major artist and his times.The event takes place at the University of Sheffield Students' Union, Western Bank S10 2TG.The two-hour Bowie talk is on Saturday 3rd March in the SU Auditorium at 4pm and tickets priced at £7 full and £5 concessions are on sale now.
More details and information can be found over at shef.ac.uk website or on their Facebook Events page.
Come and join over 8,000 DAVID BOWIE fans around the world who already have their totally FREE exclusive @bowiewonderworld.com email address.
BowieWonderworld.com FREE e-mail accounts are: Free / Permanent / Private / Spam Free and Versatile.
The BowieWonderworld free email account package includes the following features:
Generous 1 GB storage
Advanced Web 2.0 email Web Mail Interface
Personal calendar and address book
Inbox folders and message filing just like Outlook
No reading of emails for ad targeting
Spam and virus filtering
Accessible from anywhere
Mobile and Synchronised Email
Messaging Service Options
Registered email service option
25MB file attachments
and much, much more!
If you would like to sign up for your FREE email address simply fill in your details here on the form provided.
Why not sign up for a spare email account at BowieWonderworld just in case your normal email account is ever down? Claim your name or handle now.
You can even 'supercharge' your BowieWonderworld email account now by upgrading to Mail Plus Total or Mail Plus Premium.
DAVID BOWIE graces the front cover of the current issue of ROLLING STONE magazine in the USA.
The February publication cover blurb states: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust: How David Bowie Changed The World'.
Inside, contributing editor Mikal Gilmore examines how David Bowie was really just trying to hold on to his sanity while he made rock and roll safe for glitter gods and space oddities.The front cover artwork was created by illustrator TIM O'BRIEN. You can read Tim's blog where he details his thought processes through the various stages of this work project. It's well worth reading this excellent article and his other beautiful Bowie illustrations - [Read here].
More details over at rollingstone.com
2011 Bowie News | 2010 Bowie News | 2009 Bowie News
2008 Bowie News | 2007 Bowie News | 2006 Bowie News | 2005 Bowie News
2004 Bowie News | 2003 Bowie News | 2002 Bowie News | 2001 Bowie News
2000 Bowie News | 1999 Bowie News | 1998 Bowie News | 1997 Bowie News
|Created: February 2012 © Paul Kinder||Last Updated: 29/2/12|