WHAT'S REALLY HAPPENING IN APRIL - MONTHLY PLANNER
[BOWIEWONDERWORLD SHOP] [LATEST DAVID BOWIE ITEMS ON eBAY]
Have YOU got some DAVID BOWIE related news or a hot scoop?
Well don't just sit there keeping it to yourself - send it in to
All news items are credited if you so wish
[DOWNLOAD DAVID BOWIE MUSIC from Amazon]
RECORD STORE DAY 2020 will now take place on three different dates: 29th August / 26th September / 24th October.
Three street dates when titles from The List will be available only at participating indie record stores. They are working on getting the new version of The List - with newly assigned RSD drops dates. Look for that on the Record Store Day site on 1st June.
From recordstoreday.co.uk website.
• On this day, 28 years ago, DAVID BOWIE and IMAN were married having a private civil wedding ceremony at Lausanne registry office, Switzerland in 1992...
• On this day, 42 years ago, DAVID BOWIE performed at the Mecca Arena in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA during his 1978 World Tour...
• On this day, 44 years ago, DAVID BOWIE performed at UKK Hall in Helsinki, Finland during his 1976 World Tour. He arrived via train and went to a press conference held at Hotel Hesperia. After the concert, it was reported that David partied at a nightclub with Iggy Pop and Marc Bolan...
• On this day, 54 years ago, DAVID BOWIE & THE BUZZ performed at the Marquee Club, Soho, London, England in 1966...
• On this day, 54 years ago, DAVIE JONES & THE MANISH BOYS perform at Bletchley, England in 1965. This is David's last ever performance with this band...
• Happy Birthday wishes to TONY VISCONTI all the very best!...
• On this day, 47 years ago, DAVID BOWIE released his Aladdin Sane album in 1973...
• REEVES GABRELS is interviewed by THE NATIONAL and talks about working with DAVID BOWIE the piece entitled: 'Exclusive: Golden Years return as nine rare David Bowie songs released for the first time' - [Read here]...
• All the private offstage footage that yours truly shot during the TIN MACHINE 'It's My Life' tour in the UK from 1991 has now been uploaded onto the Tanaferry YouTube channel, go have a look...
• Sad news to read that MATTHEW SELIGMAN sadly passed away on Friday due to compilations from the COV-19 virus. Matthew was one of DAVID BOWIE's band members for his Live Aid appearance, he also featured on the Labyrinth soundtrack, Dancing In The Street and Absolute Beginners. Rest in peace Matthew...
• On this day, 25 years ago, David Bowie's first solo art exhibition 'David Bowie: New Afro/Pagan And Work 1975-1995' opened at The Gallery, Cork Street, Mayfair, London in 1995...
• On this day, 5 years ago, DAVID BOWIE releases 'Changes'/'Eight Line Poem' 7" picture disc, 'Kingdom Come' Side by Side clear vinyl 7" disc and David Bowie 1966 white vinyl for Record Store Day 2015...
• Happy 2nd Birthday wishes to ZOWIE TALA MABSIE JONES...
• Due to the lockdown and delay of RSD 2020, Parlophone are making available the streaming version of the full CHANGESNOWBOWIE nine-track album available from today. Visit your favourite streaming location...
• Check out an interview with MARK PLATI by Jeff Slate over on ROCK CELLAR talking about the DAVID BOWIE 1997 Earthling era releases - [Read here]...
• DAVID BOWIE GLAMOUR fanzine are auctioning a copy of their issue #1 to help raise money for our National Health Service. Please visit any of their social media accounts for more details...
• Two rolls of DAVID BOWIE designed wallpaper go to auction at Sotheby's - check out an article written by Natasha Gural over on FORBES website - [Read here]...
The second series of AFTER LIFE by RICKY GERVAIS exclusive to NETFLIX airs on 24th April with six new episodes.
Season 2 will feature a DAVID BOWIE song.
This 2nd series created, written and directed by Ricky Gervias, also stars Ashley Jensen of Extras fame.
The cast includes: Penelope Wilton (Downton Abbey, Doctor Who), David Bradley (The Harry Potter series, Game of Thrones), Ashley Jensen (Extras), Tom Basden (Plebs, David Brent: Life On The Road), Tony Way (Edge of Tomorrow), David Earl (Cemetery Junction, Derek), Joe Wilkinson (Him and Her), Kerry Godliman (Derek), Mandeep Dhillon, Jo Hartley, Roisin Conaty and Diane Morgan (David Brent: Life On The Road), Tracy-Ann Oberman (EastEnders).
Still struggling with immense grief after the death of his wife, Tony (Ricky Gervais) is trying to turn over a new leaf. Will he succeed in helping the people around him, or will he go back to being the same old Tony?
Check out the official trailer for Season 2 below...
For more details about this wonderful drama, please visit the Netflix website.
The official video for DAVID BOWIE's Repetition '97 is now available online for your viewing pleasure.
Filmed by Tim Pope during the Earthling tour rehearsals in Hartford, Connecticut, US.
All set for release on 15th June is the Blu-ray version of MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR. LAWRENCE which stars DAVID BOWIE, Takeshi Kitano, Tom Conti and directed by Nagisa Oshima.
This Arrow Academy Blu-ray release features a reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork, as well as other bonus goodies.
Synopsis: David Bowie stars in Nagisa Oshima's 1983 Palme d'Or-nominated portrait of resilience, pride, friendship and obsession among four very different men confined in the stifling jungle heat of a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp in Java during World War II.
In 1942, Major Jack Celliers (Bowie) is captured by Japanese soldiers, and after a brutal trial sent, physically debilitated but indomitable in mind, to a POW camp overseen by the zealous Captain Yonoi (Ryuichi Sakamoto). Celliers stubbornness sees him locked in a battle of wills with the camp's new commandant, a man obsessed with discipline and the glory of Imperial Japan who becomes unnaturally preoccupied with the young Major, while Lieutenant Colonel Lawrence (Tom Conti), the only inmate with a degree of sympathy for Japanese culture and an understanding of the language, attempts to bridge the divide through his friendship with Yonoi's second-in-command, Sergeant Hara (Takeshi Kitano), a man possessing a surprising degree of compassion beneath his cruel facade.
Produced by Jeremy Thomas (The Last Emperor, The Sheltering Sky), it was the first English-language film by Oshima (Death by Hanging, In the Realm of the Senses, Gohatto), a leading light of Japanese New Wave cinema, and provided breakthrough big-screen roles for comedian Takeshi Kitano and musician Ryuichi Sakamoto, who also composed the film's hauntingly memorable BAFTA-winning score. This powerful wartime drama was adapted from Laurens van der Post's autobiographical novel The Seed and the Sower (1963) by screenwriter Paul Mayersberg (The Man Who Fell To Earth).
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original uncompressed stereo audio
- The Man Who Left His Soul on Film (1983), Paul Joyce's 82-minute documentary profile of Nagisa Oshima
- The Oshima Gang (1983), a 30-minute documentary following the film's cast and makers at the 1983 Cannes Film Festival
- Video interviews with producer Jeremy Thomas and actor-composer Ryuichi Sakamoto
- Exclusive newly filmed interview with critic Tony Rayns
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sam Hadley
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Jasper Sharp
You can pre-order NOW!
I've given permission to allow the Tanaferry YouTube channel to upload some private offstage footage that yours truly shot during the TIN MACHINE 'It's My Life' tour in the UK from 1991.
First up is the better quality footage from Cambridge, be on the lookout for more footage from Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow over the following days.
Please subscribe to the Tanaferry YouTube channel for new notifications and updates.
Update: You can now pre-order your issue - this item will be dispatched 26th April.
DAVID BOWIE takes centre stage in our launch issue with over thirty pages dedicated to one of his most creative photoshoots -The Corsham Street Sessions.
The debut issue of DEK MAGAZINE is about to be launched very shortly.
Featured in issue #1, they revisit DAVID BOWIE and the residents of Oxford Town for a never-before-seen project. The Corsham Street Sessions are coming...
What's the story behind the story? The art behind the artist? The creativity behind the creation? That's what DEK sets out to uncover, scratching the surface of music, film and every other medium you can imagine. Their mission? To discover something new and authentic about the people and the process behind the things you love - taking you down new alleyways you didn't even know were there.
For more details about this brand new exciting magazine visit the dekmag.com website and sign up for their mailing list.
Now released on Friday 20th June (hopefully!) is the limited edition SPACE ODDITY Vinyl Picture Disc.
Originally this was the RCA re-release of DAVID BOWIE's 2nd album.
This new Parlophone LP picture disc features the same two 1972 Mick Rock photographs taken at Haddon Hall in Beckenham, albeit in much better quality.
Also included is a replica of the cover album poster.
The tracklisting runs as follows:
1. Space Oddity (2009 remaster)
2. Unwashed And Somewhat Slightly Dazed [includes Don't Sit Down] (2009 remaster)
3. Letter To Hermione (2009 remaster)
4. Cygnet Committee (2009 remaster)
1. Janine (2009 remaster)
2. An Occasional Dream (2009 remaster)
3. Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (2009 remaster)
4. God Knows I'm Good (2009 remaster)
5. Memory Of A Free Festival (2009 remaster)
You can pre-order NOW!
Record Store Day 2020 is postponed worldwide until 20th June due to health and safety of the general public.
RSD 2020 sees the release of previously unissued live 1974 recordings of DAVID BOWIE entitled: I'M ONLY DANCING (THE SOUL TOUR 74) on 2 LP Vinyl and 2 CD formats released for RECORD STORE DAY 2020 on 20th June.
In addition to the previously announced Record Store Day 2020 release of CHANGESNOWBOWIE, Parlophone Records are proud to also announce the unearthing of never before heard recordings of David Bowie in concert in 1974 in the form of I'M ONLY DANCING (THE SOUL TOUR 74) on 2 LP and 2 CD.
Taken from recently discovered sources in The David Bowie Archive®, I'M ONLY DANCING (THE SOUL TOUR 74) was recorded mostly during David's performance at the Michigan Palace, Detroit on 20th October 1974, with the encores taken from the Municipal Auditorium, Nashville on 30th November 1974. The only song missing from the full set on the 20th October performance is 'Diamond Dogs' which was unfortunately only recorded in part. To make up for that it was decided to include the encores from the 30th November performance which featured 'Diamond Dogs' but also enables a fuller representation of the set from The Soul Tour including such numbers as 'Knock On Wood' and the 'Foot Stomping' / 'I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate' medley.
The Soul Tour was a radical departure from the first part of the 1974 Diamond Dogs theatrical extravaganza. During a three week break in late 1974, the Diamond Dogs Tour's elaborate six-ton Hunger City stage set was drastically stripped back, and the tour's set list overhauled to include as-yet-unreleased tracks from the Young Americans sessions at Sigma Sound in Philadelphia. The Soul Tour also featured a revamped band, augmented to include musicians and vocalists from those sessions, and rechristened The Mike Garson Band.
I'M ONLY DANCING (THE SOUL TOUR 74) follows on from the previous Record Store Day 2 LP release Cracked Actor (Live Los Angeles '74) and is an incredible historical document of a performer and band at the height of their live powers. The artwork for both the 2 LP and 2 CD releases is based on the original design for the programmes available at venues for dates on The Soul Tour. The Soul Tour has taken on a mythical status among Bowie fans, as the tour visited fewer than twenty cities in the East and South of US. This is the first time that audio from this incarnation of the tour has ever been officially released.
DAVID BOWIE - I'M ONLY DANCING (THE SOUL TOUR 74) (2 LP / 2 CD) tracklisting
LP Side 1
1. Introduction - Memory Of A Free Festival
2. Rebel Rebel
3. John, I'm Only Dancing (Again)
LP Side 2
1. Moonage Daydream
2. Rock 'N Roll With Me
3. Love Me Do / The Jean Genie
4. Young Americans
LP Side 3
1. Can You Hear Me?
2. It's Gonna Be Me
3. Somebody Up There Likes Me
4. Suffragette City
LP Side 4
1. Rock 'N' Roll Suicide
2. Panic In Detroit
3. Knock On Wood *
4. Foot Stomping / I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate / Foot Stomping *
5. Diamond Dogs / It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I like It) / Diamond Dogs *
Recorded at the Michigan Palace, Detroit on 20th October 1974 and * at the Municipal Auditorium, Nashville on 30th November 1974.
David Bowie - Vocals, 12-string acoustic guitar, harmonica.
The Mike Garson Band:
Earl Slick - Guitar
Carlos Alomar - Guitar
Mike Garson - Piano, Mellotron
David Sanborn - Alto sax, flute
Pablo Rosario - Percussion
Emir Ksasan - Bass
Dennis Davis - Drums
Backing vocals - Warren Peace, Anthony Hinton, Luther Vandross, Ava Cherry, Robin Clark and Diane Sumler.
These recordings have been mastered from the only available sources to provide the best sound quality possible. Any flaws and distortion are inherent in the original sources and we hope the historical importance of the recordings outweighs any such imperfections and does not detract from the enjoyment of the performances.
For more details visit davidbowie.com website.
• DAVID BOWIE SPACE ODDITY Vinyl Picture Disc, to be released on 19th June - PRE-ORDER
DAVID BOWIE FAQ: All That's Left to Know About Rock's Finest Actor by Ian Chapman, paperback, 344 pages, published on 10th April - purchase now.
DAVID BOWIE DIAMOND DOGS (33 1/3) by Glenn Hendler, paperback, 152 pages, published on 5th March - purchase now.
DAVID BOWIE 40th Anniversary 7" Limited Edition Picture Disc Single ALABAMA SONG / JOE THE LION / ALABAMA SONG (LIVE) is released on 14th February - purchase now.
BOWIE: Stardust, Rayguns and Moonage Daydreams by Michael Allred, hardcover, 160 pages, published on 7th January - purchase now.
Official Collectors Limited Edition 2020 DAVID BOWIE WALL CALENDAR square format calendar 12 month, featuring different stunning images each month, size 31.2cm x 31.2cm - you can purchase now.
Official 2020 DAVID BOWIE WALL CALENDAR A3 format, 12 month, featuring different stunning images each month, size 42cm x 29.7cm - you can purchase now.
2018 softback edition of DAVID BOWIE WORLD 7" RECORDS DISCOGRAPHY 1964 - 1981 book by MARSHALL JARMAN and RETO STÖCKLIN you can purchase now via marmot-publishing.com
Exclusive DAVID BOWIE lino-cut print available to PURCHASE - don't hang around, these are ALL the remaining original left-over stock from 36 years ago, once they've gone, they've gone!
March | February | January
2019 Bowie News | 2018 Bowie News | 2017 Bowie News
2016 Bowie News | 2015 Bowie News | 2014 Bowie News | 2013 Bowie News
2012 Bowie News | 2011 Bowie News | 2010 Bowie News | 2009 Bowie News
2008 Bowie News | 2007 Bowie News | 2006 Bowie News | 2005 Bowie News
2004 Bowie News | 2003 Bowie News | 2002 Bowie News | 2001 Bowie News
2000 Bowie News | 1999 Bowie News | 1998 Bowie News | 1997 Bowie News
|Created: April 2020 © Paul Kinder||Last Updated: 24/4/20|