Have a great day and I hope you get everything you wish for
Many happy returns and best wishes from
Rednik and everyone at Wonderworld
AND SO THE STORY GOES... 23rd May 2009
The two-disc CD and DVD set of DAVID BOWIE - VH1 STORYTELLERS is released on Monday 6th July.
Some of you may remember this fabulous recording took place at Sony Studios in New York on 23rd August 1999. You can read the original news story from 10 years ago here courtesy of two lucky people who were in attendance.
VH1 Storytellers began in 1996 with intimate TV performances by Ray Davies and Elvis Costello. Over the next few years many singer/songwriters appeared on the show, performing in front of a live audience while telling stories of their music and memories. From Garth Brooks to Smashing Pumpkins, many of the most memorable episodes featured British rock acts, and David Bowie appeared on the show on August 23rd 1999.
Bill Flanagan, Executive Producer of the show explains, "We were used to dealing with legendary musicians. Still, landing David Bowie was more than a big booking. There's no way to say this without being corny: it was an honour. Bowie has a unique place in rock and roll. He is not only one of the most influential musicians of the era, he does nothing unless he is fully committed. He never phones it in."
The full tracklistings are as follows:
CD: 01. Life On Mars? 02. Rebel Rebel (truncated) 03. Thursday's Child 04. Can't Help Thinking About Me 05. China Girl 06. Seven 07. Drive-In Saturday 08. Word On A Wing
DVD: 01. Life On Mars? 02. Rebel Rebel (truncated) 03. Thursday's Child 04. Can't Help Thinking About Me 05. China Girl 06. Seven 07. Drive-In Saturday 08. Word On A Wing
DVD bonus performances: 09. Survive 10. I Can't Read 11. Always Crashing In The Same Car 12. If I'm Dreaming My Life
Digital audio version: 01. Life On Mars? 02. Rebel Rebel (truncated) 03. Thursday's Child 04. Can't Help Thinking About Me 05. China Girl 06. Seven 07. Drive-In Saturday 08. Word On A Wing
Digital audio bonus performances: 09. Survive 10. I Can't Read 11. Always Crashing In The Same Car 12. If I'm Dreaming My Life
He continues, "Bowie's STORYTELLERS was a unique theatrical event, a sort of off-Broadway 'Evening with the Artist' in which a great songwriter used bits and pieces from his life and career to show us all the roads leading up to a single moment, a complement to his current album but also a performance strong enough to stand on its own: a compelling introduction to David Bowie for the uninitiated and a fresh experience for the long time fan.
"It was a highlight of the series and a good lesson to those of us behind the camera who sometimes think the artist needs our help. When dealing with an artist of the stature of David Bowie, we can help best by getting out of his way."
• Nice to hear that DAVID BOWIE's 'Hunky Dory' album was played to the audience before the SIGNAL performance of Symphony No. 3 1995 and the Suite from 'The Hours' by PHILIP GLASS at Le Poisson Rouge in Greenwich Village, New York City...
• Tin Machine member TONY SALES is set for a guest appearance on the second album from MY STUPID BROTHER entitled 'What You Need'...
•GAIL ANN DORSEY is now officially on MySpace - [View here]...
• Music video game DJ HERO is to feature a mash-up of DAVID BOWIE's 'Let's Dance' with 'Jack Of Spade's by KRS ONE (DJ Shadow mix). DJ Hero is being developed by FreeStyleGames and will be published by Activision by the end of this year...
• For the Manga fans out there TOKYOPOP and author JAKE T. FORBES have released the latest in the 'Return to Labyrinth' series (volume 3) (ISBN: 1-59816-727-8) in paperback - [View here]...
• New movie 'Inglourious Basterds' directed by Quentin Tarantino and starring Brad Pitt features DAVID BOWIE's Cat People (Putting Out Fire) on the soundtrack...
• Former DAVID BOWIE guitarist STACY HAYDEN is producing the new album by BROTHER SAM set for release in the second quarter of 2009. Stacy plays lead guitar on their new single 'So Long Brother' which you can listen to at myspace.com/brosamrocks...
THE ZIGGY STARDUST PHENOMENON 19th May 2009
There's a new book about DAVID BOWIE - well precisely Ziggy Stardust - just been published in France.
The author is the writer and singer Enrique Seknadje and the title is: 'David Bowie - The Ziggy Stardust Phenomenon and other essays'.
This work strays from the beaten track as it is a whole of interpretative text instead of the normal classic biography.
What do DAVID BOWIE, Stanley Clarke, Stewart Copeland, Stan Getz, Freddie Hubbard, Elvin Jones, Lee Konitz, Dave Liebman, The Mel Lewis / Thad Jones Big Band, The Los Angeles Philharmonic, Nine Inch Nails, Martha Reeves, Daniel Rodriguez, Seal, Doc Severinsen, Smashing Pumpkins, and Gwen Stefani have in common? Answer: Everyone on the list has performed with Mike Garson.
Upcoming on 12th May sees Mike Garson + Symphony Orchestra performing in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, USA.
Echo Bowie are: Hans Schlatman (lead vocals/guitar) - Wouter Menken (drums) - Marcel Cornelissen (guitar/back vox) - Johnny Vain (bass/back vox) - Bart Groenendijk (keyboards/ back vox).
For more details and information pop on over to the echobowie.com website.
BOWIE: ZIGGY RETURNS TRIBUTE 3rd May 2009
DAVID BOWIE tribute act 'Bowie: Ziggy Returns' are due to perform at some rather familiar venues that will bring back some nice memories of Ziggy to say the least.
For now the upcoming show is at:
June 13th: Red Bank, New Jersey, USA 8:00pm @ Count Basie Theatre - [Tickets on sale].
For more information check out their website @ bowieziggyreturns.com and watch the live video footage to get a taster.
MOON RED CARPET 2nd May 2009
Check out an online interview with DUNCAN JONES talking about his new sci-fi movie 'Moon' direct from the red carpet at the 2009 Tribeca Film Festival in New York City - courtesy of reeltalktv.com
MISTER GRINNING SOUL 2nd May 2009
Check out the current issue of MADMAN from Atomic Comics - number #15 - the cover says it all - and the double-page fold out is rather awesome to say the least.
Madman's world is particularly strange. It is a world where mutants, extraterrestrials and freaks run rampant. The comic book takes place in Snap City, which is home to the planet's only superhero: the Madman.
Issue #15 features a crazed cell phone salesman being compelled to kill by some unseen force. Frank 'Madman' Einstein and his groovy pals, the Atomics, receive 'the call' to stop the horror.
If you know anything about the comic creator MIKE ALLRED you'll know there's a huge David Bowie influence throughout in his work, besides the lyrical references you also even get Zacheous (issue #11) who is the phantom vision of Ziggy Stardust living in the attic!
One of my favourite characters in Madman has got to be the alien 'Mott' - from the planet Hoople.
If you want to learn more about Mike Allred check out his official website at aaapop.com.
MOON SHOWING AT TRIBECA 09 2nd May 2009
Director DUNCAN JONES' debut feature Sci-Fi movie MOON starring Sam Rockwell is showing at the 2009 Tribeca Film Festival.
The film festival kicked off in New York on 22nd April and runs until tomorrow Sunday 3rd May.
You can still catch 'Moon' tonight at 11:00 am - AV7-06, 66 3rd Avenue @ 11th Street, NYC.
• Check out the HELLO! article featuring a proud DAVID BOWIE and son DUNCAN JONES at Tribeca - [Read here]...
•DAVID BOWIE's classic anthem "Heroes" features on the soundtrack album for new movie 'What Goes Up' which stars Hilary Duff, Steve Coogan, Josh Peck and Olivia Thirlby. The soundtrack is released next Tuesday on 5th May..
• New movie 'Adventureland' directed by Greg Mottola features DAVID BOWIE and LOU REED songs on the soundtrack, namely 'Modern Love' and 'Satellite Of Love'...
• Taking place in Chicago on 2nd/3rd May is the SCHOOL OF ROCK TRIBUTE TO DAVID BOWIE at The Subterranean, 2011 W. North Avenue, Wicker Park. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 on the door. For more info check out schoolofrock.com and whilst you're there check out the listing for the EARL SLICK Fashion Show on Sunday 28th June in Astbury, New Jersey...
• Actresses VANESSA HUDGENS and ALYSON MICHALKA both appear in upcoming rock movie BANDSLAM which as you know also stars DAVID BOWIE in a cameo role. The movie is set for theatrical release in the US on 14th August. Vanessa briefly to Extra about meeting David: "I did get to meet him. I didn't know what to say (though), I was so freaked out! I just told him who I was and how big of a fan I was. He was so grounded. It was amazing." - [from justjaredjr.buzznet.com]...
• The Sci-Fi NOW magazine has an excellent four-page feature on Labyrinth with some great pictures. Writer Alasdair Morton calls it a modern classic that now has a huge cult following. The film is also being shown on the big screen in this years Sci-Fi London Film Festival - [from John]...
D&I AT TRIBECA LAST TONIGHT 1st May 2009
DAVID BOWIE and his wife IMAN attended the showing of son DUNCAN JONES' debut feature sci-fi movie 'Moon' at the 2009 Tribeca Festival.
The premiere at Tribeca Festival took place at the BMCC Tribeca Performing Arts Centre in New YorkCity.
Also in attendance were producer Stuart Fenegan, actor Sam Rockwell, actress Leslie Bibb and Sting.