The eagerly anticipated release of The Man Who Fell To Earth on Blu-ray (Region 2 format) finally arrives next week on 4th April after a couple of rescheduled dates via Optimum Home Entertainment.
Format: Anamorphic, Colour, PAL, Widescreen Language English Region: Region 2 Aspect Ratio: 16:9 - 1.78:1 Number of discs: 1 Studio: Optimum Home Entertainment DVD Release Date: 30th March 2011 Run Time: 133 minutes
Synopsis: From director Nicolas Roeg, The Man Who Fell To Earth is a science-fiction cult classic starring DAVID BOWIE. Crash landing on Earth from his dying planet, an alien humanoid traveling by the name Thomas Jerome Newton uses his superior intelligence to build a vast business empire. As he takes on, and beats, every US corporation, people can only guess his true purpose: to save his dying world from agonizing death by drought. Newton's ageless fall from grace, as he becomes prey to lust, alcohol, business rivals and the US Government makes The Man Who Fell To Earth not only a bitingly caustic indictment of the modern world but also a poignant commentary on the loneliness of an outsider.
With only a few days remaining to the release of director DUNCAN JONES' latest movie 'Source Code' - check out the various reviews and write ups from around the globe... 'Source Code' hits the cinemas this Friday 1st April.
•Access Atlanta: Q&A with Duncan Jones, director of 'Source Code' - [Read here].
•Austin360: Sci-fi comes naturally for son of David Bowie - [Read here].
•NBC Washington: Director Duncan Jones hints at 'Source Code' sci-fi easter eggs - [Read here].
Memory of a Free Festival 7" USA Promo White Label, Parts I and II, Mercury 73075. 1 bid, currently at £0.99, 9 days left to go.
All The Madmen 7" USA white label Mercury Promo, DJ-311 Mono version. 3 bids, currently at £44.50 - 9 days left to go.
Space Oddity 7" stereo demo Philips 1801 white label. Also included in with this item are two Philips Records press releases. One 'News Spin' and a two-sided 'Profile' biography press release. 6 bids, currently at £102, 3 days left to go.
One of the sellers chillipsychosis has four of these early 7" demo singles for sale.
AND THE BITS FLEW FAR AND WIDE... 25th March 2011
• Producer/Engineer/Mixer BOB CLEARMOUNTAIN is interviewed by The Wall Street Journal in a piece entitled 'Wizard of the Rock 'n' Roll Mix' by Jim Fusilli. Bob recalls the time in was in the studio with DAVID BOWIE, Nile Rodgers and Stevie Ray Vaughan recording the Let's Dance album - [Read here]...
•DAVID BOWIE was mentioned by name several times in the second episode (Turf) of the excellent new BBC 3 comedy 'White Van Man' starring Will Mellor as 'Ollie'. You can catch it via the BBC iPlayer [View here]...
• On Saturday night (26th) DAVID BOWIE tribute act The Best of Bowie - Aladdinsane (along with T-Rextasy) perform at Fairfields Halls, Croydon, Surrey, England - [More details]...
• Also on Saturday (26th) Dutch DAVID BOWIE tribute band ECHO BOWIE are performing at Cafe De Bakkerij, Zevenbergen, Holland at 21.00 hrs -[More details]...
FUTURE FATHER SON PROJECT? 25th March 2011
DUNCAN JONES has told film reviewer and interviewer Tom Brook on BBC America that he would like to collaborate with his father in a future film project.
"I would rather work with him as an actor to be honest, if hopefully we ever get to the point where we get to do that. The reason I would wait is [that] I would want to be the director that is able to be supporting of an actor like him. I really want to be a better director so that when I do get the chance to work him, there's nothing that he feels he's missing out on, and I can answer any kind of question or concern he might have."
Duncan was also interview in today's THE TIMES newspaper by Tim Teeman. In the article entitled: 'Duncan Jones steps out of dad David Bowie's shadow with Source Code', Duncan talks about his latest movie Source Code, (released 1st April), directing his father in a future collaboration and his childhood upbringing.
Unfortunately I can't give you a link to this interview as The Times is a subscription pay for only on their website.
OBITUARY: DERRICK BOYES 22nd March 2011
I am very sad to report the sudden death of DERRICK BOYES, notably the keyboard player in DAVID BOWIE'S band THE BUZZ.
Derrick died aged 65 on January 8th 2011 in Norfolk, where he had been working at the time.
Born in Scarborough, North Yorkshire in 1944, Derrick Boyes learned piano from an early age, playing in his first teenage groups in Scarborough, where he came into contact with local guitarist John 'Hutch' Hutchinson.
In early 1966 he was invited by Hutch to audition for David Bowie's new band The Buzz, moving down to the capital for the first time. It was in this band that he picked up the nickname 'Chow', presumably to save confusion with Buzz bass player Derek (Dek) Fearnley.
By the time David's 1967 debut LP was released, Chow had parted company and, as he was only known by his nickname, his real name was misspelt 'Derek' on the sleeve, and from then on.
John Hutchinson remembers: "We had not seen each other since wherever the last Buzz gig was, but we were, and would still have been, good mates. He was a one-off, a great piano player in the Jerry Lee style and we had great gigs together, both before and during the Buzz days."
Buzz drummer John Eager also fondly recalls Chow in the band, and their particular in-humour: "There were quite a number of catch phrases that Chow would use which me and Dek thought funny. We would often fire them back at him, imitating his strong Yorkshire accent. Then he would say: 'Ooooh Ego, you piss me off!'
I'm sad to learn of his death. Although I have not had any contact with him for some 45 years, those early memories of what you did (or should have done!) stay with you all your life."
Fellow band members recalled how Derrick would dispose of his cigarettes whilst travelling from gig to gig in the group's ambulance. When he had finished a cigarette he would often call out 'open up', requesting the vehicle's narrow window be slid open. He would then launch the butt towards it - often missing the target and showering fellow band members with burning tobacco embers in the process.
On leaving David's band he joined The Truth, before returning to Yorkshire.
He never stopped playing keyboards up to his death.
Derrick's wife of 40 years Andreé remembers: "It didn't matter where we were, if he saw a piano or keyboard when we were out he would have to play it. He just loved to play."
If you have a few minutes to remember Derrick Boyes, some of his best performances can be heard on 'Did You Ever Have A Dream?', 'Join The Gang' and 'She's Got Medals'. But perhaps his finest hour with David Bowie was his moody Hammond organ backing on the classic 1966 b-side 'The London Boys'.
Derrick is survived by his wife Andreé, children Christian, Simon and Michelle and grand children Emily, Ashton and Scarlett.
Courtesy of Kevin Cann.
UNSEEN 1973 BOWIE PHOTO 11th March 2011
Currently up for grabs over on eBay is a rare and unseen DAVID BOWIE 1973 photograph taken and kindly donated by MICK ROCK with all proceeds benefiting The Mario Batali Foundation.
There are eight available (2 already sold) on the BuyItNow option for $750 (approximately £468).
This rare and gorgeous 11x4 black and white photograph has never before been seen or printed and is being auctioned exclusively to benefit the charity.
The photo was printed in an edition of 90, with each individually hand-signed and numbered by Mick Rock.
The Mario Batali Foundation mission is to ensure children are well read, well fed and well cared for through support of children's literacy and education programmes, nutrition education and pediatric disease research.
AND THE BITS FLEW FAR AND WIDE... 10th March 2011
• Just today on the GUARDIAN website is a photograph bonanza of some of the images that appear in the recently published DAVID BOWIE book 'Any Day Now' by Kevin Cann - [View here]...
• Also featured today over the GUARDIAN website is an interview with film director NICOLAS ROEG who as you know directed DAVID BOWIE in The Man Who To Earth - [Read here]...
• During the NICOLAS ROEG season taking place at London's BFI Southbank there are three showings of 'The Man Who Fell To Earth' on March 13th, 22nd and 23rd at all the NFT3 cinema. Screenwriter Paul Mayersberg will present the showing on 22nd but this is already sold out. You can book tickets online - [More details]...
• Movie director NICOLAS ROEG will be appearing at the Borderlines Film Festival at The Courtyard Hereford, England on Tuesday 5th April at 18:30. Tickets for 'Nicolas Roeg in Conversation' are priced at £8 - [More details]...
• Check out a travel feature entitled: 'Berlin: Follow in DAVID BOWIE's tracks' over on THE INDEPENDENT newspaper website penned by Paul Trynka author of the recently published 'Starman - David Bowie' book - [Read here] ...
THE MAKING OF HUNKY DORY 8th March 2011
Inside the April issue of CLASSIC ROCK magazine there is a DAVID BOWIE feature about the making of his 1971 album 'Hunky Dory'.
The five-page article entitled 'The Freakiest Show' by Bill DeMain includes interviews with David, Trevor Bolder, Mick 'Woody' Woodmansey and others.
This 156 issue of Classic Rock is on sale now, (features a Van Halen baby angel on the cover).
Blurb on their website states: 'Forty years ago, Bowie had everything to prove. Then he put together the best band he's ever had, brought in The Beatles' engineer and recorded his first classic album: Hunky Dory'.
Movie director DUNCAN JONES will be in Philadelphia on 23rd March to talk about his brand new action-suspense movie 'Source Code', which stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan and Vera Farmiga and opens 1st April.
Summit Entertainment are hosting a sneak preview at 7:30 pm that evening, with Duncan in the house at the Rave Motion Pictures University City 6, 4012 Walnut Street, (40th and Walnut Streets), Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA.
To download a pass to the March 23 screening, while they last, go to gofobo.com/rsvp and enter the code 4VIP2VS8.
From Philadelphia Inquirer..
AND THE BITS FLEW FAR AND WIDE... 4th March 2011
• Solo artist PATRICK STUMP ex-frontman of FALL OUT BOY interviewed by Spin magazine speaks of his favourite album.... "DAVID BOWIE's Low is everything I want out of a record: It's catchy pop; it's disturbing and violent sexuality; it's kind of funk music; it's a confounding post-Fluxus movement drug opus; it's absolutely high art and low art getting caught in bed together." - [Read here]...
• Over on Digital Spy DAVID JOHANSEN of The New York Dolls explains how guitarist EARL SLICK ended up in the band - [Read here]...
•CAMP FREDDY the "all-star" group of rockers performed a charity benefit show in Washington DC at the 9:30 Club last night. The band whose members include Billy Morrison (The Cult/Billy Idol), Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction), Matt Sorum (Guns 'N Roses/Velvet Revolver), Donovan Leitch (Nancy Boy) and Chris Chaney (Jane's Addiction) performed a rocking version of DAVID BOWIE's 'Suffragette City' with Donovan Leitch on main vocals...
• New movie 'Source Code' directed by DUNCAN JONES which stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Monaghan has been chosen to open Austin's SXSW film festival in Texas, USA and will have its world premiere there on 11th March. The movies hits theatres on 1st April...
• More on DUNCAN JONES... Alamo Drafthouse Cinema has honoured him with a 'Director's Series' of posters that have been specially commissioned. The two stunning posters created by Olly Moss will be available for purchase following the 11th March world premiere of Source Code at the SXSW Festival in Texas. The posters' dimensions are 16"x24" and will sell for $35. The poster for Source Code will be limited to 200 copies and Moon will have a run of 250 copies. You can view both [posters here]...
• The Sensational DAVID BOWIE Tribute Band will now be performing at PJ Molloy's in Dunfermline, Scotland on Saturday 19th March. Admission is £4 on the door. Doors open at 9pm, band onstage at 11pm, event finishes at 2am - [More details]...
BW COMPETITION WINNERS 4th March 2011
Many thanks to everyone who entered the recent BowieWonderworld competition.
The five winners drawn at random of the STARMAN: DAVID BOWIE - THE DEFINITIVE BIOGRAPHY book by Paul Trynka are:
1. Bas Mauriks. 2. Alice Luttazi. 3. Michel Goes. 4. Costanza Morabito. 5. Craig Hamlin.
This eagerly anticipated new book was published by Sphere yesterday... if competitions aren't your thing can purchase NOW and receive a massive 36% discount!
Thanks to author Paul Trynka and Sphere Publishing.
DAVID BOWIE by MASAYOSHI SUKITA 3rd March 2011
GENESIS PUBLICATIONS have announced details of a brand new DAVID BOWIE publication.
Since he first photographed Ziggy Stardust at the Rainbow Theatre in London, 1972, MASAYOSHI SUKITA has remained one of David Bowie's favourite photographers.
Sukita's incredible archive spans 40 years and features hundreds of previously unseen photographs and iconic portraits, the most recent of which were taken in 2009. As well as the classic cover photo for "Heroes", 1977, he has photographed countless tours - including Bowie's first visit to Japan in 1973 and the Reality tour, 2004 - and hundreds of candid images including Bowie on holiday in Kyoto, 1979.
We are proud to present Sukita's archive for the first time ever, with commentary by David Bowie himself.
This book is a limited edition of 2,000 copies worldwide each signed by David Bowie and Masayoshi Sukita.
As you are aware Genesis Publications also published the collector and deluxe editions 'Moonage Daydream: The Life and Times of Ziggy Stardust' by Mick Rock and 'From Station To Station: Travels With Bowie 1973-1976' by Geoff MacCormack.
You can sign up for email updates on this specific publication by visiting their website.
• Published in today's DAILY MAIL newspaper is a piece entitled 'Over the wall we go: Berlin still thrums to the hypnotic beat that inspired David Bowie' by Paul Trynka. Bowie, Berlin and travel what more could you want? You can read the whole article here...
• Ex Tin Machine member HUNT SALES celebrates his birthday today - have a good one!...
• The latest BW competition has now ended. Your chance to win one of five copies of Starman: David Bowie - The Definitive Biography by Paul Trynka. Watch this space for the five winners drawn at random shortly...
A new project from MAX TANNONE entitled 'Selene' is a hip-hop EP inspired by the DUNCAN JONES sci-fi movie 'Moon' which is now available for your listening pleasure.
In the past Max Tannone has remixed albums such as Jaydiohead, Mos Dub and Dub Kweli.
Selene is a five-song hip-hop EP which utilises samples from the film's original score. Max teamed up with Brooklyn rap artist Richard Rich to explore themes like isolation, separation, self-realisation, cloning, and all kinds of craziness.
01. You Are Here (3:04) 02. Back In The Dark (3:41) 03. Palindrone (3:42) 05. Me Today (3.37)
Currently up for auction over on eBay is the mega rare DAVID BOWIE / DANA GILLESPIE 1971 BOWPROMO LP (rough mix) first pressing with GEM labels plus sticker.
This first issue promotional LP on GEM BOWPROMO 1A-1 / BOWPROMO 1B-1 stamped matrix numbers, thick vinyl and original 'Gem with credits' labels), along with handwritten flipback and pinched spine corners plain white sleeve with Gem label sticker at the back.
At present there is one bid and the eBay auction has five days left to run.
Update: There were twelve bids and the price realised was £1,271.09 GBP.
STARMAN: THE DEFINITIVE BIOGRAPHY 1st March 2011
The eagerly anticipated new publication STARMAN: DAVID BOWIE - The Definitive Biography by PAUL TRYNKA is published this month by Sphere on Thursday 3rd March.
David Bowie - famously described as rock's greatest chameleon - has lived an extraordinary life. From his early years in post-war, bombed out Brixton to a troubled later childhood in Bromley, to the decadent glamour of Ziggy Stardust to his controversial Berlin period, Bowie's life has been filled with drama. One of our most fascinating stars, his story has never been satisfactorily told until now.
Paul Trynka has interviewed over two hundred friends, ex-lovers and fellow musicians in order to write the definitive biography of Bowie. The result is a compelling, intimate and revealing book that will appeal to Bowie's millions of fans around the world.
Make sure you take a visit to trynka.net and read how and why Paul decided to write this book. Whilst you're there check out some of the images he took along the way.
New publication STARMAN: DAVID BOWIE The Definitive Biography by Paul Trynka, published by Sphere on 3rd March - purchase NOW and receive a massive 36% discount! The USA version is published 18th July.
THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH Blu-ray DVD Region 2 released by Optimum Home Entertainment rescheduled for 4th April - pre-order NOW and receive a massive 35% discount!
New publication DAVID BOWIE: THE ILLUSTRATED BIOGRAPHY by Gareth Thomas, to be published by Transatlantic Press on 30th June - pre-order NOW and receive 15% discount.
New updated edition of THE COMPLETE DAVID BOWIE by Nicholas Pegg to be published by Titan Books 27th September - pre-order NOW and receive 10% discount.
New publication THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD: David Bowie and The 1970s by Peter Doggett, hardcover published by Bodley Head on 6th October - pre-order NOW and receive 25% discount!