Have YOU got some DAVID BOWIE related news or a hot scoop? Well don't just sit there keeping it to yourself - send it in to All news items are credited if you so wish
A STAR WHO FELL TO EARTH 25th April 2008
You may remember several years ago (Dec 2004) two DAVID BOWIE publications entitled 'Never Get Old - David Bowie: Man Of Ch-Ch-Changes Part 1 and Part 2' by Dutch author WIM HENDRIKSE.
Well after quite a few years of hard labour, last week Wim's Dutch language Bowie-biography was published: 'David Bowie. Een Ster Die Op Aarde Viel'.
It is the first biography ever originally written in Dutch. The title translates in English as ''A Star Who Fell To Earth'.
This week the book promotion started and Wim has already completed the first three interviews and today sees another interview to be broadcast on Dutch radio.
The books can be ordered at: gopher.nl website.
For Dutch visitors: 'David Bowie. Een Ster Die Op Aarde Viel' is de eerste oorspronkelijk Nederlandstalige biografie die over deze markante en intelligente superster is geschreven.
Volgens Hendrikse is de biografie completer dan wat er tot nu toe is verschenen over de man die al 23 studioalbums op zijn naam heeft staan. 'David Bowie. Een ster die op aarde viel' is de eerste oorspronkelijk Nederlandstalige biografie die over deze markante en intelligente superster is geschreven. Auteur Wim Hendrikse - zelf Bowie-fan van het eerste uur - is er op onnavolgbare wijze in geslaagd een betrouwbaar en vooral compleet en up-to-date beeld te schetsen van het leven van David Bowie, koning van de Glitter Rock en trendsetter van de jaren zeventig.
Update: David Bowie books written by Wim Hendrikse can now be purchased here.
From Wim Hendrikse
HAPPY 16th ANNIVERSARY TO DAVID AND IMAN 24th April 2008
Wishing a very Happy 16th Wedding Anniversary to DAVID and IMAN, who married during a civil ceremony in Switzerland, at the Lausanne Registry Office this very day sixteen years ago on 24th April 1992.
Then later they held their wedding ceremony in Florence, Italy on the 6th June 1992.
There is no traditional anniversary gift for sixteen years, the modern anniversary gift is silverware.
TAKE A QUICK BUTCHERS... 24th April 2008
• Sending very Happy Birthday wishes to TONY VISCONTI have a wonderful day!...
• Reminder - don't forget that June issue of UNCUT magazine goes on sale today in the UK. DAVID BOWIE is on the front cover, inside there is a special 30 song feature, along with a freebie Bowie Tribute CD aptily entitled 'Rebel Rebel' (scroll down to 20th for more info)...
• Another reminder... tonight on the GIDEON COE BBC 6 Music radio show a live concert archive DAVID BOWIE session is to be broadcast. The three hour show starts at 22:00 GMT - [Listen here]...
D&I OUT ON THE TOWN 23rd April 2008
After being named as a jury member earlier in the day, DAVID BOWIE and IMAN attended the 7th Annual Tribeca Film Festival. The Vanity Fair Party was held at the State Supreme Courthouse in New York City.
As you can see Iman looked striking in a fuchsia floral dress, with David in a smart black suit, white shirt and slim tie.
Also in attendance were Robert de Niro and Grace Hightower, Harvey and Dapha Keitel, Willem Dafoe, Anjelica Huston, Lauren Bacall, Sigourney Weaver, Billy Crystal, John Leguizamo, James Gandolfini, Chaz Paminteri, Gianna Ranaudo, Justine Maurer, Matthew Modine, Edie Falco, Natasha Richardson, Zoe Kravitz, Jerry Seinfeld, Diane von Furstenburg, Jane Rosenthal, Martha Stewart, Padma Lakshmi, Larry David, Gia Colagrande, Lola Schnable, Georgina Chapman, Zac Posen, Donna Karan, Carolina Herrera, Francesco and Alba Clemente, Tory Burch, Graydon and Anna Carter, Peter Bart, Phyllis Fredette, John McEnroe, Patty Smyth, Joy and Regis Philbin, Porschla Coleman, Russell Simmons, NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Diana Taylor, Charlie Rose, Steve Croft, Gayle King, Martha Stewart, Serena Altschul, Dominick Dunne, Johyn Leguizamo, Justine Maurer, Fran Lebowitz, Amy Sacco, Jared Kushnem Brian Grazer, Lorne Michaels, Dominick Dunne, Brett Ratner, Howard Rubenstein, Andre Leon Tally, Amy Sacco, Andre Balazs, Deborah Lin and many others.
DAVID NAMED AS JURY MEMBER FOR TRIBECA 23rd April 2008
DAVID BOWIE, Whoopi Goldberg, Fred Durst and director Doug Liman have all been named as jury members at the Tribeca Film Festival - which kicked off in New York on Wednesday.
The announcement was made by Liman at a press conference in downtown Manhattan on Wednesday, which was attended by New York's Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Governor David Paterson.
The panels have been split into different categories, with Bowie and others, including actor Matthew Modine, judging the Documentary and Student Short Film group. Goldberg's panel - which also includes Padma Lakshmi - will review the World Documentary Competition.
The festival will run for 12 days, and includes 121 feature films and 79 short films. A total of 89 movies will be premiered at the event, which is now in its seventh year.
It was founded by Jane Rosenthal, Robert De Niro and Craig Hatkoff to boost the economic and cultural revitalization of Lower Manhattan.
And Governor Paterson called on the movie industry to do its bit and make more films in the Big Apple, speaking on the same day he announced tax breaks for those who shoot in the state.
He told the press conference, "New York has inspired filmmakers since the industry's beginning. But recently, we started losing business to our neighbors, like Canada, Connecticut and Massachusetts. New Yorkers never go down without a fight, and with the significantly expanded state film tax credit I announced today, New York will continue to serve as the most fascinating backdrop in the world. I am proud to have our great state foster an even greater number of productions, and feel fortunate that we have an event like the Tribeca Film Festival to showcase the work of great filmmakers and highlight the importance of this industry in our state."
FRANK SIMMS APPEARING IN BENEFIT CONCERT 22nd April 2008
Congregation Adath Israel of Newtown, Connecticut is thrilled to announce an appearance by the great FRANK SIMMS on Saturday night June 7th at 8:30 to benefit the temple building fund.
Frank, the voice of 'Kool Aid Man', 'Nickelodon' and hundreds of other commercial spots is one of the most accomplished singers in the world having sung on such hit songs as 'Cats In The Cradle', 'Uptown Girl', 'Modern Love', 'Let's Dance', 'China Girl', 'Let The River Run' (theme from 'Working Girl'). 'River Of Dreams', 'Material Girl' and many many others.
Frank has toured with DAVID BOWIE and Billy Joel and opened for Peter Frampton. He recently performed at Carnegie Hall with Carly Simon and won an Emmy last year for the song from the PBS children's program, 'Between The Lions'.
He will be in concert with Manhattan recording artist Chris Arbisi who released a well-received CD in 2007 called 'Hot Summer Day', which Frank appears on along with Will Lee of the 'David Letterman CBS Orchestra'.
Tickets for the fundraiser are available by calling Martin Nirschel on 203-409-6406 and are $20 in advance or $25 the night of the show.
The temple is located at 115 Huntingtown Road, Newtown, Connecticut. Rabbi Shaul Praver will MC the evenings' event and it will be taped for the cable television show 'Rabbi Rock TV'.
(Ed. As you know Frank and George Simms were the backing singers on David's 1983 Serious Moonlight World Tour, both appeared on the 'Black Tie White Noise' album, with George also performing on the 'Tonight' album and was backing singer/keyboards on the 1995 Outside World Tour. If you want to know what Frank's been up to check out his official website at franksimms.net).
TAKE A QUICK BUTCHERS... 21st April 2008
• The first single to be released from the forthcoming SCARLETT JOHANSSON album is 'Falling Down' which as you know features DAVID BOWIE on backing vocals. The single UK release is on 5th May and comes in 7" vinyl format. The Tom Waits covers album 'Anywhere I Lay My Head' is scheduled for release on 20th May and features David on another track 'Fannin' Street'. Spinner.com have an exclusive online listen of the track - US residents only [Listen here]...
• Calling all you major DAVID BOWIE collectors out there... here's something you might be interested in... DIAMOND DOGS GENITAL SLEEVE - a super rare original WITHDRAWN genitals LP cover. There is NO record included since they did not come with one. These covers were typically given to RCA salesmen to use for in-store displays in anicipation of the albums release. The LP never made it to the public with this cover. The copy has general wear. NO cuts, drills, splits or damage. Also included is a super rare Press Kit for the Diamond Dogs US concert tour. This kit was also sent out in advance of the LPs release and talks about the upcoming tour to promote the LPs release. The kit includes a photo featuring the dog's genitals. Any sensible offers welcome. Please email to:
•DAVID BOWIE tribute band TIGERS ON VASELINE have a gig lined up at Cafe Drummond, 1, Belmont Street, Aberdeen, Scotland on Friday 25th April @ 9.00pm. Admission £3.00. More details on their MySpace pages...
BOWIE ON/IN UNCUT MAG 20th April 2008
UNCUT have another DAVID BOWIE special collectors edition magazine published for their June issue.
On sale on 24th April, the magazine contains twelve page special that lists Bowie's thirty greatest songs as selected by a whole of host contributors including Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, David Grohl, Morrissey, Alex Turner, Ricky Gervais, Tony Visconti and many more.
Also with magazine comes with a free CD entitled 'Rebel Rebel' A Tribute To David Bowie which features songs by Mott The Hoople, King Crimson, Nico, Mercury Rev, Sigue Sigue Sputnik and more.
Update: The tracklisting on the free CD 'Rebel Rebel' runs as follows:
01. Sigue Sigue Sputnik - 'Rebel Rebel' 02. The Sea and Cake - 'Sound And Vision' 03. The Last Town Chorus - 'Modern Love' 04. King Crimson - "Heroes" 05. John Howard - 'The Bewley Brothers' 06. Ed Kuepper - 'The Man Who Sold The World' 07. Brett Smiley - 'Kooks' 08. LA Guns - 'Moonage Daydream' 09. Eater - 'Queen Bitch' 10. Mott The Hoople - 'All The Young Dudes' (live) 11. Nico - "Heroes" 12. Mercury Rev - 'Memory Of A Free Festival'
(Note: There was a last minute production 'hiccup' resulting in the transposition of the tracks by Last Town Chorus and King Crimson, their appearance on the CD now not matching the tracklisting on the sleeve).
Oh and there's a free Rock Trivia book to boot 'The Uncut Book of Revelations' Volume 2 which is a compendium of the very finest rock facts.
• Coming up on Thursday 24th April on the GIDEON COE radio show BBC 6 MUSIC is a live DAVID BOWIE session taken from the BBC archives. The show kicks off at 22:00 GMT for 3 hours - bbc.co.uk/6music...
• Over on eBay the black leather jacket signed and donated by DAVID BOWIE to support the completion of the recording studio at The Institute for the Musical Arts realised $2,900.00 US dollars. The jacket was used in the The Hunger TV series, which he hosted in the late 1990s - [eBay Listing]...
• Still with eBayDACARA_05 is currently selling up to 300 various DAVID BOWIE books, magazines etc. Several rare and interesting items include: 'Ki' Book by Sukita, rare Japanese books and mags, World 7" Records Discography and Shining Star by Marshall Jarman, Christian Frifelt's discography books, Mick Rock books, Disc 1969, early 70s Melody Makers, NMEs, Disc, Rolling Stone etc and many others. Check out what are up for grabs with more coming shortly at eBay...
WNEW ARCHIVED BOWIE INTERVIEW 14th April 2008
CBS Radio has brought legendary ROCK WNEW back to New York City, at 102.7 HD-2 along with online at wnew.com.
The new WNEW covers over 40 years of rock history, along with archival classic interviews from WNEW's history will be integrated into the station's programming, with former WNEW hosts Scott Muni, Dave Herman and Richard Neer speaking to the likes of DAVID BOWIE, John Lennon and more.
In this fascinating 1986 interview Scott Muni catches David at one of the busiest times in his career. He'd just finished acting in the movie Absolute Beginners (1985), helped write the soundtrack for Falcon and the Snowman (1985) with guitar master Pat Metheny, and completed songs for Labyrinth (1986), the movie by Jim Henson.
Here he talks about the making of 'Dancing In The Street' with Mick Jagger, his disinterest in the Beatles music (except for John Lennon) and his love for the idiosyncrasies of Syd Barrett (early Pink Floyd) and Robert Wyatt. Another highlight is mention of forthcoming 'Painting' tour!
You can listen online to the complete 20 minute interview at the wnew.com website.
POUR ME OUT ANOTHER PHONE 14th April 2008
MORRISSEY is to release a live cover version of the classic DAVID BOWIE 1973 track 'Drive-In Saturday' next month on 7" vinyl.
The track was recorded live at the Orpheum Theater, Omaha, Nebraska on 11th May 2007).
The song will feature on the upcoming release 'All You Need Is Me', which is one of two new songs to feature on the recent greatest hits compilation.
Across the numerous formats for the release will be another two new tracks, titled 'My Dearest Love' and 'Children In Pieces'.
'All You Need Is Me' is scheduled for release on 19th May in the following formats:
ALL YOU NEED IS ME - Released 19/05/2008 CD single Track 1: 'All You Need Is Me'. Track 2: 'Children In Pieces' 7" #1 Side A: 'All You Need Is Me'. Side B: 'My Dearest Love' 7" #2 Side A: 'All You Need Is Me'. Side B: 'Drive-in Saturday' (Recorded live)
Morrissey is currently working on a new studio album, set to be released in the autumn.
LIVE SANTA MONICA '72 SET FOR JUNE 10th April 2008
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 04.10.2008: DAVID BOWIE - LIVE SANTA MONICA '72
David Bowie - Live Santa Monica '72 Limited Edition CD album - catalogue number BOWLIVE 201072 Limited edition double LP - catalogue number BOWLIVELP 201072 Digital format - catalogue number 583 2215 Released June 30th 2008 EMI Catalogue Marketing
EMI Marketing will officially release David Bowie, Live Santa Monica '72 on June 30th. Recorded at Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Los Angeles on October 20th 1972 during the first leg of the Ziggy Stardust US tour. Over the last 36 years this historic recording has only been occasionally available as a bootleg. For many, ownership of this concert was regarded as a true test of being a 'proper Bowie fan'. This powerful, galvanizing show allows a more than 70 minute glimpse into the earliest nationwide live radio exposure granted David and the Spiders.
David Bowie says:- "I can tell that I'm totally into being Ziggy by this stage of our touring. It's no longer an act; I am him. This would be around the tenth American show for us and you can hear that we are all pretty high on ourselves. We train wreck a couple of things, I miss some words and sometimes you wouldn't know that pianist Mike Garson was onstage with us but overall I really treasure this bootleg. Mick Ronson is at his blistering best."
CD tracklisting: 01 - Introduction 02 - Hang On To Yourself 03 - Ziggy Stardust 04 - Changes 05 - The Supermen 06 - Life On Mars? 07 - Five Years 08 - Space Oddity 09 - Andy Warhol 10 - My Death 11 - The Width Of A Circle 12 - Queen Bitch 13 - Moonage Daydream 14 - John, I'm Only Dancing 15 - Waiting For The Man 16 - The Jean Genie 17 - Suffragette City 18 - Rock 'N' Roll Suicide
LP tracklisting: Record 1 Side 1 01 - Introduction 02 - Hang On To Yourself 03 - Ziggy Stardust 04 - Changes 05 - The Supermen 06 - Life On Mars? 07 - Five Years
Record 1 Side 2 01 - Space Oddity 02 - Andy Warhol 03 - My Death
Record 2 Side 1 01 - The Width Of A Circle 02 - Queen Bitch 03 - Moonage Daydream 04 - John, I'm Only Dancing
Record 2 Side 2 01 - Waiting For The Man 02 - The Jean Genie 03 - Suffragette City 04 - Rock 'N' Roll Suicide
In 1972, David Bowie set out on his first US tour. He'd recently introduced the world to his Ziggy Stardust persona with his top 5 album 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars' and had completed a hugely successful UK tour. The Santa Monica concert, David's first live US radio broadcast, was aired live on KMET in L.A. and was immediately a fan bootleg favourite. The set list is compiled primarily from the 'Hunky Dory' and 'Ziggy Stardust' albums and features two covers, Jacques Brel's 'My Death' and the Velvet Underground's 'Waiting For The Man', alongside the awesome power of 'The Man Who Sold The World' centrepiece 'The Width Of A Circle' (this version is a ten and a half minute sonic assault) and an 'Aladdin Sane' previewing 'The Jean Genie'.
The set list is also quite different from the Ziggy terminating ‘Ziggy Stardust - The Motion Picture Soundtrack,' available on CD via EMI along with its counterpart concert film on DVD.
Accompanying David was The Spiders From Mars: Mick Ronson - guitar, vocals, Trevor Bolder - bass, Mick "Woody" Woodmansey - drums and Mike Garson - piano.
This is David Bowie at the pinnacle of his creative power - in 1981 NME critics called it, "(quite simply)... the performer's, and one of rock's, best ever bootlegs."
The CD will initially be released as a limited edition with special packaging featuring shots taken at the actual gig for the first time.
The double LP set will be a numbered limited edition on 180 gram heavyweight vinyl; a must for collectors.
• The black leather jacket signed and donated by DAVID BOWIE to support the completion of the recording studio at The Institute for the Musical Arts currently up for grabs over on eBay has hit $2,800.00 US dollars. The jacket was used in the The Hunger television series, which he hosted in the late 1990s. Auction ends on April 14th at 9:00 PDT - [eBay Listings]...
• Manhattan art dealer Richard Feigen at the 2008 European Fine Art Fair said has a buyer for 'Christ On The Cross', an 8 inch by 6 inch Peter Paul Rubens once owned by DAVID BOWIE and now priced around $1 million dollars...
• X Factor winner LEONA LEWIS currently at number one the USA charts reveals that she'd love to work with DAVID BOWIE. 'I think he's so innovative,' she says. 'He was so ahead of his time and he still is.' - [Read here]...
•DAVID BOWIE tribute band DIAMOND DOGS USA perform their debut gig on Friday 11th April at the Beachcomber in Quincy, Massachusetts at 9:00 pm. After over a year of preparation and rehearsals, they ar ready to hit the road - break a leg guys - [More details here]...
TEACH YOURSELF DAVID BOWIE 8th April 2008
I spent a great 5 hours the other week watching impersonator STEVIE RIKS on his YouTube channel doing this thang and then bugger me he's on BBCs Inside Out programme. Fame at last!
Besides his DAVID BOWIE impersonation, he does a fabulous Paul McCartney, Marc Bolan, David Essex, Freddie Mercury, John Lennon, Mick Jagger, Noel Gallagher and George Michael. Some of the 321 video films are straight singing pieces and others are comedy routines.
VITAMIN RECORDS have released a String Quartet Tribute to DAVID BOWIE's classic song "Heroes".
This song is available on our new album 'The Rock 'n' Roll Wedding Collection'.
You can check out more information and mp3 samples from the CD on our website at vitaminrecords.com
The CD and individual songs are also available on iTunes.
From Taylor Loftin @ Vitamin Records.
THE SPIDERS ON MARS SHOWCASE 3rd April 2008
THE SPIDERS ON MARS top DAVID BOWIE tribute band and a true rock 'n' roll circus if ever there was one, will be pitching up tent at Firewater in Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, Scotland on Friday 25th April.
Tickets on the door at £5/£6 and you can expect a total Bowie experience from the doors opening at 8pm through until the early hours with guest DJs and The Spiders cranking out classics all night long.
This is possibly the best "live music" club venue in Scotland and a great place to catch the band in action.
• The new movie AUGUST which features a cameo appearance from DAVID BOWIE as 'Ogilvie' is tentatively scheduled for a limited theatrical release on 11th July in US cinemas via First Look Studios...
• You will remember that DAVID BOWIE sang on two tracks for the RUSTIC OVERTONES album ¡Viva Nueva! produced by Tony Visconti in 2001. The band recently reunited after breaking up in 2002 and have a new album 'Light At The End' out on the shelves. Bull Moose are offering an exclusive 7" vinyl, free with orders, featuring the title track 'Light At The End' and 'Sector Z', which features David Bowie. Supply is limited, but still available for the time being...
• The NEW YORK DAILY NEWS have a online review of the newly published book Bowie In Berlin by Thomas Jerome Seabrook. Check it out at nydailynews.com along with a nice black and white shot of James and David...
• The excellent new movie SON OF RAMBOW is currently promoting heavily on UK TV. One of the trailer commercials utilises DAVID BOWIE's 'Rebel Rebel' throughout...
•DAVID BOWIE tribute band DIAMOND DOGS perform on 11th April at The Beachcomber, Quincy Shore Drive, Quincy, Massachusetts, USA. Tickets are priced at $7. More details available on their MySpace page...
BOWIE GLAM BASH IN VANCOUVER 2nd April 2008
Vernard and Julia the organisers and promoters behind last week's BOWIE GLAM BASH in Vancouver tell me the event was an absolute hit!
Over to Vernard... It was held at Vancouver's top venue, Celebrities Nightclub. (Voted No.1 Dance Club in Vancouver for over 3 years and Western-Canada's largest gay club). The hype around town for this was electric!! By 11:30pm the place was nearly packed (quite a feat for a Thursday night and the threat of snow!). The crowd was fantastic!
Some great characters and outfits. Fans from all walks of life came to pay respect to our Bowie. It was absolutely heartwarming to see how much they love him. There were the hugely popular Glam-Bowie Make-Overs by the Blanche Macdonald Team which one could get done by donation. (All going to BeautyNight Society, which benefits abused and battered women).
Also, one of Canada's most legendary punk-icon artists Jim Cummins aka I, Braineater did a live painting all night on a lit stage next to the dancefloor.
One of Vancouver's top fashion designers Nancy Black had a glam fashion show. Her fabulous models had some great make-up and outfits for everyone to see.
There was pole dancing led by Caroline MacGillivray (Beautynight Society) and her troupe Luscious Dance throughout the night at one end of the large venue.
DJ Chris 'Zoolander' Strebly did a killer set with mostly Bowie and New Wave, Indie Electro.
One of Vancouver's most flamboyant top celebrity culinary Chefs, (David Bowie fan) and local icons - Rick Forde made his grand appearance with his posse.
Burlesque Dancer Diamond Minx did a wonderful glam routine at one point in the evening. Raven from Soulvisuals who had some fantastic Bowie visuals on the many large screens throughout the night.
About 7 professional photographers begged me to attend the bash, so they all did. Check out some excellent photographs from the extravaganza via flickr.com
People loved the event and are asking me to do another BowieBash in the near future. I am planning to do so. Since the event I've gotten many emails from local publishers, photographers and newspaper columnists who couldnt make it or didn't know about it but are wanting to come to the next one. They've seen the results and the pictures don't lie!
All in all I am absolutely pleased with the results. I could not have done it with everyone involved. For starters my fabulous wife Julia, Jim Cummins, Nancy Black and her fantastic models, The Blanche Macdonald make-up artists/team, DJ Chris Strebly, Caroline MacGillivray and her lovely pole dancers, Diamond Minx, Raven from Soulvisuals.
Most importantly I want to thank the fantastic James Steck and Blue Sattitamanoon from the fabulous Celebrities Nightclub. They and their stuff did a fantastic job as always.
Until the next event!!!
VOTE IN THE CURRENT BW POLL 1st April 2008
Place your vote in the current BW poll...
The question being asked is: 'Which is your favourite track from the DAVID BOWIE album 'Pin Ups?'
So far the top three choices are as follows: 'Sorrow' in front with 26.18%, followed by 'See Emily Play' with 22.40% and thirdly 'Friday On My Mind' with 11.67% of the vote.